Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Home-made Chicken Nuggets and Fillets


I had a friend request some skillet recipes since the summer months heat the house up quite a bit, the last thing you want on all afternoon is the oven!

So, here's one of my absolute (and my kids absolute) favorite ways to cook chicken. It creates a little bit of a mess and it's not the healthiest way to eat chicken, but it is delicious! Here's how I make it at my house - absolutely adapt it to fit yours!

1 full chicken breast (2 half breasts)
1 cup flour
2 eggs (beaten)
1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs - I use cornflake crumbs. deliciousness.
2 tbsp. olive oil**
2 tbsp. butter**
lemon (optional)

In a skillet on the stove, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat until hot. Here's the best way to tell if oil is hot - drop a pinch of flour into it and watch it bubble and dissolve. If it just sits there and sinks, turn up the heat a little more.

Prepare the chicken: Rinse the chicken. Then I fillet one breast (slice it in half through the middle to make two thinner breasts for the adults) and cube the other breast. Place the flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in their own separate bowls. Dredge the chicken first in the flour, then egg, then cover in bread crumbs. Repeat until all the chicken has been coated, included the little cubed pieces (yay home-made chicken nuggets!).

Place chicken in hot oil on the skillet. Cook the breasts for about 7 min on each side. The cubes about 3 min on each side. They should be a golden brown color and when cut into, white with clear juices. Drain on a paper towel.

I serve the adult portions with a little fresh lemon juice squired on the top of the chicken. So yummy! I throw the left-over nuggets in a ziplock and reheat in the microwave or toaster oven throughout the week!

**if you have smaller skillets, use two and double the amount of oil and butter. I usually put the breast fillets in one and the nuggets in the other :)

No comments:

Post a Comment